PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Orange Strawberry Layer Cake

I decided to try something different the other day.  The kids had had a rough day and I wanted to make them a cake.  I didn't have time to make a cake from scratch so I brought out one of the Betty Crocker gluten free "plain" cake mixes I had in the basement.  Actually, I got out two.  And this is what I created.
And yes it tastes as good or better than it looks!  It is also super easy to make.  Here's what I did.

Take one Betty Crocker gluten free cake mix and follow the directions except I used orange juice in one to sub out 1/2 cup of the water and strawberry juice in the other to sub out 1/2 cup of the water.  These gave it great flavor and great color!  I made them each in a 9 by 13 and after letting them cool a few minutes put them out on racks to cool the rest of the way.  I then inverted one onto a the orange cake on a cookie sheet and topped it with cool whip.  After that, I placed the strawberry cake on top.  Topped with more cool whip and fruit.  The kids thought it was the best thing ever and it really was good!

Linking up over at Kitchen Fun and Crafty Fridays. Pin It Now!

14 comments:

  1. What a great way to quickly change the flavor of a box mix and make it your own. I'll have to remember this! In fact I'll pin it to come back to it later. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome idea! This would make a wonderful dessert dish at an outdoor cookout during the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow what a great idea and it looks delicious! i gotta try this out! it doesnt seem too hard to do either and i bet it tastes amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea. I will be trying this. Looks delish!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea! I'm making this tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very creative, I love the idea! Looks yummy >.<

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds fantastic! Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so good, I love the orange and strawberry combo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never had this combination but I love the looks of it and i like the added touch of the fruit on top

    sibabe64 at ptd dot net

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so delicious! It's so colorful, too, I love it! I've got to make this for sure! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cake looks wonderful...a must try....BUT!!! "Chemical" Whip??? REALLY??? Why not real whipped cream or coconut whip cream??? Cool Whip is sooooooooooo not good for anyone...

    ReplyDelete